Preparing for Allergy Season
Not everyone is excited about grass growing and trees budding. Spring allergies torment some people. They try antihistamine medicines, steroid nasal sprays or puffers, and allergy shots. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don’t. Conventional medical treatments do not attempt to “strengthen” the allergy sufferer, helping to reduce or restore tolerance to those nasty pollens.
The Naturopathic approaches to reducing and eliminating spring (seasonal) allergies used at by Dr. Clack are as follows (get started as soon as you can!):
- Cleansing: Allergens build up in the bloodstream along with other chemicals and toxins. A “cleanse” that improves the elimination of allergens and toxins is a useful first step for all sufferers, especially those with mild-to-moderate allergies. A typical cleanse program lasts 3-4 weeks, utilizing either herbal or homeopathic medicines. An elimination diet is also recommended.
- Elimination Diet:Undiagnosed food sensitivities compromise immune function, causing people to be more susceptible to infections and/or allergies. A one-month elimination diet will reduce the allergy load (burden), allowing the body and immune system more resources to deal with allergies.
- Adrenal Support:The adrenal glands secrete cortisol to deal with stressors. Cortisol blocks the anti-inflammatory effects of histamine. If adrenal output is reduced due to stress, as is often the case in modern life, people will experience more allergy symptoms – sometimes when they didn’t know they previously had allergies. Adrenal support involves supplements that combine herbs (eg. Licorice, Rhodiola, Ashwaganda), glandular extracts, and nutritional supplements (eg. Vitamin B5, Vitamin C and Quercitin).
- Acupuncture:helps balance the effects of allergens on the body, giving symptom relief.
- Homeopathy:common remedies for seasonal allergies include Sabadilla, Allium cepa, Euphrasia, and Kali bichromicum. Combination formulas are also effective.
- Herbal medicines:Petasites hybridus (Butterbur), Urtica (Nettles) and Quercitin are best known.
- Nutritional supplements:Vitamin C, B vitamins (especially B5), and probiotics top the list.
- Allergy Desensitization:many treatment methods are available. Nambudripad’s Allergy Elimination Techniques (NAET) have been effectively used by Dr. Clack for over 14 years
Do you know you have allergy symptoms, but don’t know what you’re allergic to? Lab Testing is available with Dr. Clack – blood tests for allergens and foods (IgE, IgG and/or IgA panels); Electrodermal screening; and/or Muscle Response Testing can help you learn what you’re reacting to.